Boltigen is located in the valley of the river Simme
(Simmental), Bernese Oberland, which is part of the Canton of
Berne, Switzerland. There is no English home page for this
village so far but there are some links related to this village.
Boltigen history (Lit: Jahn: Chronik; L. v.
Tscharner: Rechtsgesch. des Obersimmentales. -
Aktensammlung zur Geschichte der Berner Reformation -
Hinkender Bote 1921; Imobersteg und Gempeler: Heimatkunde
des Simmentals; Historisch-Biographisches Lexikon der
Boltigen is a municipality and a parish, first
historically mentioned 1228. In 1840 an early
Bronze Age axe was found on an alp.
The municipality was divided into the
principalities of Laubegg and Simmenegg. The last
was was given as Reichslehen (a fief) in 1391 to
Bern by Freiherr (Baron) Rudolf von Aarburg.
There are eight "Bäuerten" (hamlets):
Adlemsried, Boltigen, Aeschi, Oberbäuert,
Reidenbach, Schwarzenmatt, Simmenegg and
(St. Mauritius) collation (Kollatur) was owned by
the barons of Simmenegg. The church was renovated
in 1510. The parsonage was constructed 1735. All
was rebuilt after it burnt down 19 July 1840.
Also old glass panes were lost.
In 1528 the town folk resisted the Reformation.
After they gave up resisting the Reformat
remaining believers of the old church of the
upper municipalities attacked the village.
1799 Boltigen even participated in the rebellion
against Helvetican Republic, although Samuel
Joneli - a member of the original citizens -
became Governor of the newly formed Canton
In October 1849 there was a reunion, of wich was
the first sign of the conservative change in
In February 1890, 20 houses burned down in the
upper part of the village but Boltigen still
shows a number of buildings of Simmental
architectural stile. Some houses in the Boltigen
area are testimonies of their constructor or
of Eva Andrist,
shows the owners names)
The alps of Boltigen were also known very early
Baptismal register since 1594 (without
1627-1710), wedding registers since 1556 (without
1627-62), death register since 1595 (without
Telegraph office: 4 July 1868 to 21 January 1924.
First telephone access with manual switching in
14 August 1903. Linked to the
Zweisimmen-Erlenbach-railways, with a station in