Aeschi bei Spiez is located close to the city of Spiez and the
lake of Thun, Bernese Oberland, which is part of the Canton of
Berne, Switzerland. There are several pages in the internet
regarding this village. This page shows an overview and
First mentionned in 1228 as Esshes, 1325 as
Honesche, 1361 as Esse, later as Esche, Eschy,
The Freien von Kien (barons of Kien), those of
Wädiswil and Junker Walter von Ried where the
first mentioned owners of properties at Aeschi.
In the 14th century and later the families of
Scharnachtal hold large properties. The place and
the Kirchensatz (church) where owned by the
Herrschaft von Mülinen (barons of Mülinen) and
was sold on 15 Oct 1352 for 3723 Gulden by
Thüring von Brandis to the city of Bern.
The church was donated to St. Petrus. It was
reportet as part of the Dekanat Bern (Köniz). On
the south side of the church is a large tower
with the inscription 1485, probably referring to
Since the 70's of the 19th century AbS was known
as a health resort at Heustrich.
The alpine painter Baud-Bovy often visited
Aeschi. Friedrich von Känel, known for many
literature translations, used to live in
Baptismal and wedding registers since 1556, death
register since 1728
Post office since 1869. Telegraph office from 13
May 1874 to 10 Apr 1931. Local telephone net with
manual switching upon 16 Jul 1900, joint station
with telegraph service 10 Apr 1931.